Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Correct parts for my first crossover? (Markwart)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member ao371's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2016
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Correct parts for my first crossover? (Markwart)

    I just picked up a pair of vintage Altec 604-8Gs last weekend and one had the wrong model crossover. After some a little research i decided on one designed by Jeff Markwart (Jeff Markwart's Corner - Phase Corrected Crossovers) It gets great reviews and I like DIY projects. I've hardly ever soldered anything, let alone built a crossover, but I like to try new projects. I've been reading up on how to read schematics and how to assemble them. I think I have a really basic understanding.

    The schematic.
    5

    This part is a little confusing. What parts are represented here as P1? Is it an l-pad or a resistor?

    6


    Here's the parts in my cart, are they all correct? I know I have to double up everything.
    7
    Last edited by ao371; July 14th, 2016 at 10:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Correct parts for my first crossover? (Markwart)

    P1 is a potentiometer. Its slightly different than a L-pad. Like he says, you can just use one leg of an L-pad instead of a pot

  3. #3
    Junior Hostboard Member tysencahill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2016
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Correct parts for my first crossover? (Markwart)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    P1 is a potentiometer. Its slightly different than a L-pad. Like he says, you can just use one leg of an L-pad instead of a pot

    A little late to the game here, but I too am working on this crossover and am having trouble understanding how to wire the L-pad.



    Do I connect the R4 resistor to ground leg, and then from the 30ohm leg go to positive? Leaving one leg free, correct?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Correct parts for my first crossover? (Markwart)

    Usually when hooking up an L-pad the positive wire (signal in) goes to #1, the driver gets #2 wired to its postive terminal, and #3 goes to the negative side of the xover or speaker terminal.

    2

    In Jeff's drawing it looks like its only hooked up to two of the L-pad connections. I would contact him directly and ask how to hook it up. I have spoken with him before and he is very nice and helpful.

    I am planning on building this same xover for my Urei 604G's. I am going to use a fixed resister in place of the L-pad. When I asked Jeff about this he said a 10 ohm resister is a good value to start at

  5. #5
    Junior Hostboard Member tysencahill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2016
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Correct parts for my first crossover? (Markwart)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    Usually when hooking up an L-pad the positive wire (signal in) goes to #1, the driver gets #2 wired to its postive terminal, and #3 goes to the negative side of the xover or speaker terminal.

    2

    In Jeff's drawing it looks like its only hooked up to two of the L-pad connections. I would contact him directly and ask how to hook it up. I have spoken with him before and he is very nice and helpful.

    I am planning on building this same xover for my Urei 604G's. I am going to use a fixed resister in place of the L-pad. When I asked Jeff about this he said a 10 ohm resister is a good value to start at

    Thanks for the response!

    I contacted Jeff, and as you stated, only two of the pins are used. R4 goes to pin #2, and pin #3 goes to the mid point of R1 & R2.


    I'll post photos when I'm done and give you my impressions. The supplies from PE is supposed to be delivered tomorrow!

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member tysencahill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2016
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Correct parts for my first crossover? (Markwart)

    Completed the crossovers tonight and installed them.

    I used Dayton resistors; Solen caps; Jantzen inductors; and Belden 9497 wire.


    Well. Simply put. The crossovers are game changers. Dramatically better. End of story.


    My front end is a Scott 296 restored by Craig at NOSvalves. Jolida Tube DAC as my source.


    Seriously, these are the best speakers I've heard.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.